While compliance with legal obligations assists business to create workplaces that support working parents, several organisations have taken this a step further by implementing innovative, leading practices that advance this goal. Supporting working parents through targeted strategies can reduce business costs related to recruitment, retraining and restructures, widen the talent pool, increase organisational productivity and performance and improve organisational reputation.
The ‘Successful strategies to support working parents’ resource for employers highlights these ‘leading practices’ as opportunities that can be used to successfully support pregnant employees and working parents. It brings together strategies implemented by leading Australian employers, many of which are effective, low cost and easy to deliver.
Four steps are outlined that set out how to:
- Establish strong foundations
- Support pregnant employees and employees planning to take parental leave
- Value employees on parental leave
- Enable a successful return to work and support for working parents
- Download ‘Successful strategies to support working parents: A Resource for Employers’ (PDF)
- Download ‘Successful strategies to support working parents: A Resource for Employers’ (Word)